A comprehensive dental exam should be performed by your dentist and hygienist at regular intervals.
- Diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): X-rays are essential for the detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. They also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral cancer screenings: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum and bone review: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Tooth decay: Check all tooth surfaces for decay with special dental instruments.
- Existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
Professional Teeth Cleaning
Professional dental cleanings (dental prophylaxis) are usually performed by Registered Dental Hygienists. Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam and the following:
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins (poisons) that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease.
- Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.
For your next dental check-up and teeth cleaning call us at (610) 933-3717 to schedule an appointment at our Phoenixville Dental office. We are conveniently located at 833 Valley Forge Road and have plenty of free parking.